It is very common situation that server hardware as a standard option is configured without optical drive. I recently had to configure 5 XenServer hosts and install XenServer 6.2 on hardware with without cd-rom. Here are the steps I followed to get a working USB stick:
1. Download the XenServer 6.2 ISO.
2. Download and run Universal USB Installer (I used version 188.8.131.52).
3. Run Universal USB Installer and select the following options:
- (1) Select “Try Unlisted Linux ISO”.
- (2) Browse to your XenServer ISO.
- (3) Select your USB Flash Drive Letter.
- (4) If your drive is not yet FAT32 formatted check “We will format F:\ Drive as Fat32 “.
4. Click Create and confirm action as it is shown on Figure 2
5. Click Close when process is completed
6. Insert a USB stick into server port and start XenServer installation.