XenDesktop 5 logon process and communication flow is presented on Figure 1 below
- The user device submits credentials to the Web Interface site.
- Web Interface passes the user credentials to the controller.
- Controller verifies user authorization by performing a Microsoft Active Directory query with the end user’s credentials.
- Controller queries the site database for the end user’s assigned desktop groups; named instance uses ports 1434 and 1433. These groups are presented to the user (enumeration).
- User clicks on one of the Desktop Groups to start a XenDesktop session. Using the desktop group obtained from the database, controller queries the hypervisor about the status of desktops within that group.
- Controller identifies to Web Interface the desktop it assigned for this particular session.
- Web Interface sends an ICA file to the online plug-in, which points to the virtual desktop identified by the hypervisor.
- Online plug-in establishes an ICA connection to the specific virtual desktop that was allocated by the controller for this session.
- Virtual Desktop Agent verifies the license file with the controller.
- Controller queries Citrix license server to verify that the end user has a valid ticket.
- Controller passes session policies to the Virtual Desktop Agent (VDA), which then applies those policies to the virtual desktop.
- Online plug-in displays the virtual desktop to the end user.
- Administrator and helpdesk personnel use Desktop Director and Desktop Studio tools to manage the desktops from the management server
Important note: The user logon workflow (logon process) in StoreFront is different to Web Interface. For more information see post: Web Interface vs StoreFront logon process