If you want to fully utilize new features provided by XenApp and XenDesktop 7.6 you have to upgrade an existing StoreFront installation to version 2.6 which comes with core 7.6 components. As I have SoreFront already installed, in this article I will focus on upgrade to version 2.6. Because StoreFront 2.6 provides a lot of new features I would recommend to check my previous post: What’s new in StoreFront 2.6 to see how new version can improve user’s mobility.
Installation is pretty simple and there is no changes to installation of the previous version. For detailed instruction for StoreFront installation see my post: XenDesktop 7 Deep Dive Part 6 – Install and configure StoreFront
I already have a new XenApp 7.6 server installed in my LAB and previous version of StoreFront is installed on dedicated server. I currently use StoreFront version 184.108.40.206 and I would like to upgrade it to the latest version shipped with XenApp and XenDesktop 7.6 iso. When planing StoreFront upgrade consider the following:
- To upgrade existing StoreFront 2.0 through 2.5.x deployments to StoreFront 2.6, run the StoreFront 2.6 installation file.
- Releases before StoreFront 2.0 cannot be upgraded to StoreFront 2.6 directly. Instead, you must first upgrade StoreFront 1.2 to StoreFront 2.0 before upgrading to StoreFront 2.6. Similarly, you cannot upgrade Receiver Storefront 1.1 to StoreFront 2.6 directly. You must upgrade Receiver Storefront 1.1 to StoreFront 1.2 and then again to StoreFront 2.0 before finally upgrading to StoreFront 2.6. Refer to the StoreFront 2.1 upgrade tasks for more information on upgrading from previous releases of StoreFront prior to the 2.1 release.
- Once the upgrade process is started, it cannot be rolled back. If the upgrade is interrupted or cannot be completed, the existing configuration is removed but StoreFront is not installed. Before starting to upgrade, you must disconnect users from the StoreFront deployment and prevent users from accessing the servers while the upgrade is in progress. This ensures that all StoreFront files are accessible by the installer during the upgrade. If any files cannot be accessed by the installer, they cannot be replaced and so the upgrade will fail, resulting in the removal of the existing StoreFront configuration.
- StoreFront does not support multiple server deployments containing different product versions, so all servers in a group must be updated to the upgraded version before granting access to the deployment. Concurrent upgrade is not supported for multiple server deployments, servers must be upgraded sequentially. Citrix recommends that you back up your data before upgrading.
- Uninstalling StoreFront removes the authentication service, stores, users’ application subscriptions, Receiver for Web sites, Desktop Appliance sites, and XenApp Services URLs. This means that if you decide to uninstall StoreFront, you must manually recreate your services, stores, and sites when you reinstall StoreFront. Upgrading also enables you to preserve your StoreFront configuration and leaves users’ application subscription data intact so that users do not need to resubscribe to all of their applications.
- Upgrading the operating system version on a server running StoreFront is not supported. Citrix recommends that you install StoreFront on a new installation of the operating system.
I haven’t found a switch for silent upgrade using command line script. The available parameters for silent installation are the following:
CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe The upgrade steps are the following: 1. Start with mounted iso and select upgrade box on the left 2. Accept license agreement and press Next 3. Read the upgrade steps , select confirmation checkbox and press Next 4. Read the information about license server, select confirmation checkbox and press Next 5. Press Next 6. Press Upgrade button to start the process 7. Wait for the confirmation and press Finish 8. Open StoreFront console, press Help -> About StoreFront and check the current version
Clasic upgarde using wizard
The upgrade steps are the following:
1. Start with mounted iso and select upgrade box on the left
2. Accept license agreement and press Next
3. Read the upgrade steps , select confirmation checkbox and press Next
4. Read the information about license server, select confirmation checkbox and press Next
5. Press Next
6. Press Upgrade button to start the process
7. Wait for the confirmation and press Finish
8. Open StoreFront console, press Help -> About StoreFront and check the current version